Saturday, September 15, 2007

Next stop Cappadocia- Flintstones country

Cappadocia is a region in central turkey that is home to some of the strangest land/rock formations i have ever seen. The region is largely underlain by soft white sedimentary rocks that were formed in lakes and streams, and volcanic rock.

I stayed in a great little town called Goreme. The soft rocks of Cappadocia in and around Goreme were cut away by rivers and streams into spectacular valleys that branch out in all directions from the town, and perhaps more incredibly, hundreds of spectacular pillars and minaret-like forms. People of the Cappadocia Region used tools to carve out these rock formations to create houses, churches, and monasteries.
Words can't speak nearly as well as photos in this case (although photos can of course only give you an idea), so you will see a couple of photos that i took on my walking and running excursions around Goreme. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone visiting Turkey. I spent half the time running, and the other half standing with a bemused look on my face, shaking my head in disbelief at what surrounded me.

1 comment:

Mum and Dad said...

what an interesting looking place. It looks like a place out of a fairy tale
Love Mum