Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Berlin Marathon: Race Plan

The training is in the bank, and I've reached race weight. Now to run the race. Here is what I hope happens (see target times on map)




















It's fairly simple, my plan is to run around this marathon course as fast as I can, hopefully in under 2h40min (3:47 min/km or 6:05 mile pace). Current personal best is 2h44min (3:53 min/km), achieved in Rotterdam in April 2010.

Based on my recent form in racing and in training, I think that this is best achieved by running the first half marathon in 80 minutes, and then trying to do the same in the second half. Most important thing is to avoid going out too fast, and running out of gas too early.

Obviously my ability to do this depends on a number of factors, such as:
  • Weather conditions: heat and wind both lead to slower marathon times
  • how I feel on the day (we all have our bad days)

  • whether I have paced it right

  • Where I have correctly estimated by physical condition (am I actually able of achieving the target time?)

  • ensuring that I hydrate properly during the race
My coach (Adam Jones at Rathfarnham W.S.A.F) pointed out that there is no point wasting energy on worrying about things that you can't control. Good point. So that means focusing on preparation, hydration, and pace.

I will do everything I can to nail the target time, but it may not happen if one or several of these factors play against me. If I'm not feeling strong, then I'll drop off the pace and try to run as best as I can - no dramas.

Here's hoping that everything comes together!:-)

No comments: